Requirements for all primary judoka
Children under 10 years old are classified as primary grade.
All primary Children wear white belts as beginners until a grade is awarded.
There are three levels awarded between each grade, called tags. White belt and then 1 red tag, 2 red tags and 3 rad tags. This applies to all the following tag colours: orange, green, blue, brown and then black. A primary judoka with 3 black tags will hold a grade of Primary Black Belt.
Qualification to be promoted to a higher grade is based on:
- ability to demonstrate the required throws from a standing and a moving position;
- ability to demonstrate the required groundwork;
- knowledge of the required terminology;
- Randori - free fighting ability; and,
- The Understanding of Kuzushi (Breaking balance) Tsukuri (Floating movement) and Nage (Throwing).