Requirements for all Adult Judoka (from 16 years and above) to fulfil
All adult Judoka (16 years and above), will start their judo wearing a red belt. A red belt amplifies that you are a novice. During the two months of the judo induction programe, you will be examined for the grade of 6th Kyu White belt.
Thus, the belts associated with each grade, from beginner to higher grades are as follows:
Red belt Novice (beginner), white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown and then black (up to 5th dan).
The comprehensive grading structure is designed to test and fulfil in theory and in contest, the student's quest of further education. The period between each grading examination may vary between three to four months.
Qualification to be promoted to a higher grade is based on:
- ability to demonstrate the required throws from a standing and a moving position;
- ability to demonstrate the required groundwork;
- knowledge of the required terminology;
- Randori - free fighting ability;
- The understanding of Kusushi (breaking the balance) Tsukuri (floating movement) and Nage (throwing)
- Full membership to the JFA UK ( Judo For All UK ) or a valid licence from a judo governing body.