Requirements for all Junior judoka (from 10 - 16 years old) to fulfil
All Junior Judoka wear coloured belts + any of 1, 2 or 3 tags in each colour awarded at each grading examination. A beginner judoka will wear white belt until a grade is awarded.
White, yellow and orange belts can have 1, 2 and 3 tags of the next grade colour until green belt. The green belt will have 1, 2 or 3 tags in blue, brown and black when awarded.
Thus the belts associated with each grade from beginner to highest Junior grade are as follows:
white (beginner) and then yellow, orange and green. Then green with 1, 2 and 3 blue, brown or black tags.
Qualification to be promoted to a higher grade is based on:
- ability to demonstrate the required throws from a standing and a moving position;
- ability to demonstrate the required groundwork;
- knowledge of the required terminology;
- Randori - free fighting ability; and,
- The understanding of Kusushi ( breaking the balance ) Tsukuri ( Floating movement ) and Nage ( throwing )
- Yellow, Orange and Green belts
- Green belt + Blue tags
- Green belt + Brown tags
- Green belt + Black tags